From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:27:46 +0000
Six weeks is the standard UK NHS advice on introducing bottles.

"*Combining breastfeeding with bottle feeding*

Some women find that combining breastfeeding with bottle feeding is a
convenient option for them. However, if you decide to breastfeed your
baby, you should avoid introducing bottle feeding during the first six
weeks of life, as it can confuse your baby, cause feeding problems, and
can interfere with the establishment of breastfeeding."

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=641&sectionId=24

And it's what I was taught by my midwife and my HV.

Also, what happened to trusting mothers?  I'm confused as to how we can
recognise that medical professionals who have had some breastfeeding
training, know nothing real or useful about breastfeeding...  but now a
mother who has breastfed a toddler, isn't in a position to write a book
about it, even when she's checking out the factual info rigorously?

I'd rather read a book by a mother who has actually breastfed, any day.

Also, Pat, I'm confused as to your point about bottle feeding prior to
the 3 months reducing milk supply?  I had assumed the bottle feeding
advice being given was about EBM?  If so, she's expressing to fill the
bottle, so supply would not be reduced?  The bits you copied didn't
mention giving formula... is that what the book was saying, giving
formula before six weeks, or was it saying using a bottle at six weeks?

If it is about giving EBM, as opposed to formula, I'd be hoping to see a
section on how to hand express for the occasional EBM bottle feed, clear
instruction on how to bottle feed safely and make it baby led, and some
discussion on the risks as some babies can refuse the breast after even
one bottle feed.  If it was about formula, I'd be hoping to see a
section on the risks of formula prior to six months in terms of the gut
etc, allergies, all that jazz, and then some fluid points about impact
on supply etc etc, followed by how to do it safely and make it baby
led.  And a strong section on bacterial contamination and how to follow
WHO guidelines on not feeding PIF under 8 weeks, and how to make up PIF
according to WHO guidelines.

In other words, was she supporting exclusive breastfeeding for the first
six months, or not?  If she was, the supporting info needs to go in one
direction, if she wasn't, it needs to go in another.

Hope that helps!  :-)

Morgan Gallagher