From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 09:22:55 -0500
This woman has an ongoing infection in the ducts of her breasts. She was
probably given dicloxacillin, not doxycycline.
She really ought to have a breastmilk culture done, and treatment based
on culture and sensitivities. I realize that most doctors don't know how
to do this, and don't know how to interpret breastmilk culture results,
so I guess I am describing the ideal world, not the real world.
Anyway, if the dicloxacillin is helping, she should stay on this until
all pain is gone deep in the breast, which may be 4-6 weeks of
treatment. If the dicloxacillin stops working, then she should be
switched to a different antibiotic. Sulfa tends to work the best for
these intraductal infections.
Good luck,
Anne

Anne Eglash MD, FABM, IBCLC
Clinical Professor
Dept of Family Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
600 N. 8th St.
Mount Horeb, WI, 53572
608-437-3064 (O)
608-437-4542 (fax)