From:
Mary Murphy Md <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:03:39 EDT
Infants with water intoxication have hyponatremia. This results in brain
dysfunction and seizures. Permanent damage would depend upon the degree and
duration of the electrolyte abnormalities. A few years ago we had several
babies in St Louis present with this problem. It seems that when the monthly
supply of WIC formula was depleted or getting low, the moms tried to stretch
out the volume by adding extra water. I don't know the follow up on these
babies, and I don't remember any deaths.
Mary Murphy