From:
Harold + Deb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 00:24:51 -0700
Help!  I have a teenage mother of a 35 weeker that has been getting EBM
x 2 weeks.  Supply is dropping suddenly however, reportedly half the
volume ( 1 bottle rather than previous 2) per pumping session.  I have
not seen her yet, I spoke to on the phone after Public Health referred
her to me. ( I should explain that I am not a trained LC - I am a lay
helper and organized a BF support group in my community - an isolated
reservation in northern Canada.  My husband is the local physician and
supportive but neither of us are experienced with a serious problem like
this).
I advised her tonight to ensure that babe is with her when pumping, and
to try getting him on when he is awake but not starving.  OK so far?  I
did my best to reassure her that he will be able to eat in the coming
weeks and that she will be able to produce enough milk, but what steps
do we take to get him nursing?  Any advice on how to assess if he's
ready etc is MUCH appreciated.  I know I am not qualified, but I am all
they've got up here!  Thanks in advance, Debra Budden Aiyansh BC