From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:35:40 EST
As a hospital LC, I understand the frustration of "contradicting" the last
few people who were in the patient's room. Instead of saying "that person was
wrong" I try to be diplomatic....."yes, the baby will *probably* get all that
it needs in 10-15 minutes of active nursing or eating, but in the beginning,
the baby is also doing a lot of non-nutritive suckling, so you need to look
at the baby rather than the clock. In 45 minutes of nursing, how much is
actually eating?".....OR "I cannot tell just by looking what is going on
inside of the baby's mouth...can you tell me how it *feels*?? let's listen
for how it sounds, etc" . OR "...many HCPs would rather err on the side of
caution when they are not sure about what meds are OK with BF; that is why I
prefer to look up resources, such as Hale's book. I will be happy to share
this info with your HCP"...These types of statements help the mother to tune
into the baby, rather than focusing on what was said.

Kathy IBCLC RNC APN C in NJ where I walk a fine line most days!!