From:
Family Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:37:19 +0100
Further to my earlier comments, Last week I spent 14+ hours caring for a
friend and colleague in labour. I ended up calling in another colleague who
is a midwife ventouse practitioner to deliver the baby, which she did with
great difficulty. Luckily the baby didn't require any resuscititaton and
skin contact started immediately. In spite of a dreadfully bruised and
swollen scalp, she was only ever minimally jaundiced and has fed brilliantly
from day one, she's nearly regained her birth weight and has not been
separated from her mother for more than a few minutes because that's the way
we do things. Another colleague recently had an elective caesarian section.
She also had uninterupted skin-to-skin contact from birth, it is possible
although only if the prevailing culture permits it. There appear to be an
awful lot of unhelpful practises that are not research based and are from
the stand point that human babies will not survive without various
interventions. How did we ever survive out of the Stone Age?
Hilary