Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 20:55:32 -0400
Cindy it sounds as if you have given her an excellent plan to
follow.

Years ago I made a checklist of things to go over with these moms
and I am sure others could add to it.

Management Problems

Improper latching and poor positioning
Engorgement
Schedules and poor hindmilk intake
Limiting feeding times
overusing a pacifier ( especially with a placid baby )
offering only one breast
baby crying too much and tiring easily ( may need to be changed
after the feeding not before )
too many visitors

Mother Problems

placenta retention
stress and lack of support
nipple problems      inverted, flat, sore.
Mother in poor health, maybe with poor nutrition
impaired milk ejection reflex
inhibitions about breasts
primary lactation failure ( very rare I believe )
emotionally deprived mother,  ( maybe forced to bf by partner )
excess caffiene, cigarettes alcohol or drugs
breast reduction surgery
thyroid problems
excess vitamin B6  can inhibit lactation
too much fluid can suppress oxytocin
family pressure re history of family failure to lactate
breast cancer

Infant Problems

too much sedation at birth
premie baby
Downs Syndrome
Neurologically impaired
jaundice
sleepy baby difficult to waken
physical anomalies  eg  cleft lip/ palate
unusual oral structure  eg  tongue tie
thyroid problems
heart disease
metabolic disease  eg  galactosemia  ( 1 in 60,000 births )
urinary tract infections
CNS problems
Pierre Robin Syndrome
cancer
too many drugs in labour

Ruth Bacon IBCLC  Ontario  ( wishing we celebrated WBW now instead of
October )