From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 07:42:02 +1000
mother.  Breast abscess is evidence of a complete breakdown of preventive
care IMHO and about the worst thing that can happen to a new mother.  I've
worked with more abscesses than I care to think about.  They often take far
too long to diagnose, and after surgery the affected breast takes far too
long to heal.   The case that you describe Rebecca sounds firstly as if it
was a mis-diagnosis of Thrush, so that treatment of the original infection
was delayed.  The fact that milk cultures grew nothing was probably because
the abscess had walled itself off, and no infection was leaking into the
milk.  If the mother is again experiencing symptoms of infection and she
has not been draining the affected breast because she hopes that it will
dry up - and for "emotional reasons" - wants to be done with it, I think
you need to explain to her that she cannot do this yet, until the whole
infection is resolved.

If this was my client I would refer her back to her surgeon with a request
for another culture to identify exactly what organism is causing the
recurrence of pain, inflammation and swelling, and treatment with the
appropriate antibiotic.  If a further abscess has occurred (visible perhaps
with an ultrasound scan?) then that, too, will obviously need to be
surgically drained.  I would also impress on the mother that she needs to
keep this breast *extremely* well drained by whatever means possible until
*all* symptoms have resolved, perhaps every 2 - 3 hours around the
clock.   I would express much sympathy and regret that this is necessary,
and say I understand that she just wants it to go away, but this is not
possible.  Milk will leak from the incision, yes.  It will be messy and
painful, yes.  But eventually it will heal, and healing is being *delayed*
by her denial and inaction.  If she wants to shut down that breast she can
- but later, not now, not until the infection is over, and then only very
very gradually.

I'd forget the possibility of Thrush and antifungals.  I'd even forget the
dietary supplements.  I'd think infection, infection,
infection.  Antibiotics and drainage - yes, if necessary for a month or so
- for as long as it takes to *completely* resolve.  There are no choices in
this kind of situation.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC