From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 19:48:53 -0800
Beth:   You may not be familiar with my posts on herbs, but I am an advocate
of their reasonable use in appropriate circumstances.  This is not one of
them.   PLEASE advise your client to stay clear of ma huang (aka Ephedra
sinica).  The alkaloid extracted from the plant includes ephedrine.  The
herb itself also includes saponins and volatile oils.   In Chinese medicine,
it is used to tx YIN or Chi or qi deficiency.  The root can cause
uncontrolled sweating, convulsions, heart palpitations, neurologic
involvement, heart failure, miscarriage, and more.  It is contraindicated in
pts taking MAO inhibitors and should be avoided by anyone with glaucoma,
hpertension, coronary thrombosis, who is pregnant, is lactating, or who has
an eating disorder.  The primary legit. recognized use of this herb is for
tx of asthma; more recently, as a diet herb/drug.  In lactating moms it can
cause (in addition to all of the above) lactation supression, colic in
babies, and a number of isolated "other" reported side effects.  I cannot
strongly urge you to discourage it's use in lactating moms.

--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€
mom, wife, active UU church member, educator, lactation consultant,
homeschool mom, researcher, scientist, author, organic herb gardener,
photographer, wilderness adventurer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner;)