From:
Maureene griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:47:35 -0500
I am writing in reponse to the several posts over the last month on Lactnet
regarding the use of Melaleuca alternafolia oil (MAO)on sore or cracked
nipples.  While my comments are my own opinion, they are not anecdotal.  My
opinions and practice are research based.

First, melaleuca alternifolia oil (MAO), also known as tea tree oil, is an
essential oil.  It is derived from the melaleuca alternifolia tree, which
is growing quite well in Australia, Florida and Texas, among other
locations around the globe.  Because of the biologically active ingredients
that compose MAO(at least 48), like foods, an occasional sensitivity may
occur as described by one author in Australia.  The US does not have
standards that regulate the components of MAO but Australia does.  Some US
and Canadian companies have established quality controls based upon
Australian standards in an effort to provide a high quality product to
their consumers.  If you are buying MAO, it is wise to investigate the
source.

What is the big deal anyway about MAO anyway?  Many health care
professionals and herbalists are fascinated by the properties of the oil.
It is a natural antiseptic and is both soothing and penetrating.  It is
non-caustic to most skin types and is aromatic (for you aromatherapy fans).
 It is also a natural solvent.  For my family's home care, it's in  our
skin lotion, shampoo, toothpaste, dental floss,  laundry soap, and home
cleaning supplies, among others.  We, along with thousands of other
families across the US and Canada, have been using these safe, effective,
non-toxic products in our homes for years.  It is unfortunate that one
Lactnetter bashed it as a multilevel scam because this is an honest,
legitimate business that promotes family values, good health and
entrepreneurship.  I would encourage anyone who wants the facts about this
company to go to this business's website at www.melaleuca.com and form your
own opinion.

For sore, cracked nipples the only time I would recommend it would be if
the mother was no longer breastfeeding and was using it to promote healing.
 Even then, I would recommend mixing it with an ultra-pure lanolin cream
and applying it to the cracked nipple for moist wound healing.  If the
woman was still nursing, I absolutely would not recommend it for two
reasons.  First, it is a very aromatic oil and it does not taste pleasant
to many people, babies probably included.  The odor is long lasting and
would be difficult to wipe off of the nipples so I would be concerned that
the baby might even refuse the breast due to these factors.  Second,
ingestion of large amounts of MAO is also not recommended for anyone.
Anecdotally, I have heard of some people using it on the sore gums of
teething babies with some success.  As a personal experiment, I recently
dabbed some MAO on my sore gums following a crown placement and it was
quite soothing.  Because MAO is in my toothpaste, I am accustomed to the
odd taste.

I hope my "dissertation" :) has better explained what MAO is, how it is
used and when to use it.  I would be happy to share my references with
anyone who is interested by private e-mail.  My primary reference was
"Melaleuca Guide-Healthy Body, Healthy Home" by Dr. Richard Brouse, 6th
edition,  1996.

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources
Manhattan, KS  USA