From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 19:47:08 -0500
Posting from home computer here, but wanted to added a thought to this
discussion.  We are all familiar with the truism that there are no absolutes
and we especially know that it applies to many aspects of breastfeeding.  I
would suspect that, given the incredible variety of types of nipples and
breasts that mothers have, the answer will vary.  I think, in particular
about the women who start out with the great "sticky outy" nipples compared
to those whose babies have to try to get hold of a tiny projection on a
balloon.  How much soft and moldable skin there is behind the nipple might
determine any possible difference in length -from longer to shorter- in the
nipple after or even during a feed.  Size of the baby's mouth -we all have
seen those babies with huge gapes and those with rather narrower shaped
mouths- probably also impacts this.  Superimpose on this how the two are
matched up in a particular mom and baby and I'm not sure there is a *rule*
we could apply to all.  Of course I'm a big fan of *rules of thumb* rather
than hard and fast ones and I think the shape of the nipple with regard to
any irregularities, when the baby comes off does apply.  My .02 worth.

Marsha, where the tornado sirens are finally silent and the sun is out in
Indiana.  Whew, what a spring!

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.