From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:10:19 -0600
For premature babies, the Texas Dept of Health, WIC pamphlet on
premature babies says that ideally mom will get started pumping within
six hours after birth (a paraphrase). I do not have the research but I
have read something like this in the JHL about how the women that
started pumping after 48 hours had much lower milk supplies. I
definitely see this -- I get many women who start pumping really late
for their premature baby, say day 5. Most make about 8 ounces a day or 1
ounce per pumping total of two sides together. I heard Marianne Neifert
talk something like 7 years ago, and she said the breasts have shut down
production by day 7 without stimulation (baby nursing or removal of milk
by pump or hand). Since her talk, I have been watching this, and I would
agree with her. Some moms end up ok starting out really late but mostly
I see poor milk supply. Sometimes these bottle feeding moms get really
engorged on day 5-7 and then pump at our WIC clinics to relieve the
pain/pressure. They might get several ounces out on that first ever milk
removal but if they pump again 3 hours later, they remove a teaspoon
only. I have seen better results when mom is actually nursing but maybe
the baby isn't removing milk well and we catch it on day 4-7. These moms
seem to be able to increase their supply more easily when the baby
hasn't done a good job in the first week. Seems like their hormonal
levels are higher or they have more milk producing cells than women who
are exclusively pumping.

Just my two cents. Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC