From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:05:35 EST
Chris said: "Numbers--be they weights, times, or whatever--may SEEM
scientific because we can attach concrete boundaries on them, but they offer
us a false sense
of security, disempowerment, are liable to technological malfunction, and
promote detachment between provider and patient."

I couldn't agree more. When a mom/dad, etc says that they prefer to bottle
feed so that they can "see how much the baby is getting" I say, "but do you
know how much they NEED???" i.e., is 2 ounces too much or too little??
Numbers do not tell us as much as one would like to think, and when this is
pointed out to parents, along with how to read baby's cues, they nod as if I
have made a lot of sense!!

Kathy Rubin IBCLC RNC APN C in NJ