From:
Rachel e-mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:25:17 +0200
Jean Cotterman posts on this, states "I believe that hand expression, for those mothers interested in learning the rudiments of the technique during late pregnancy or the early postpartum period, can "save" many a painful, inefficient latch during the early days and weeks" and asks whether it is too medicalized to deal with latch help this way.
My 15 ml on this is OF COURSE NOT.  We learn from our mothers to wipe front to back after we pee, we learn to walk while being led and encouraged, we learn how to use tampons from our friends in adolescence (some of us did, anyway :)), we learn all through growing up how to hold babies by being held and by seeing them being held.  When do we learn how to soften our breasts so a three day old baby can grasp them effectively?  What is medicalized about showing women that in order to make use of the food supply on the front of their bodies, they may need the tool at the end of their arms?  IMO it is medicalizing to resort to pumping before offering the breast as a first response, or shields, or anything requiring the purchase of an artifact, if the anatomically supplied aid hasn't been tried first.  Being able to express milk is a basic survival skill for the first post partum week but one we don't often have the chance to learn until we most need it.  Attempting it in late pregnancy is likely the easiest because they may see colostrum and know they are getting it right.
The biggest obstacle will be finding enough HCPs who know how to do it, much less teach it.  It is so un-nursified that most nurses don't have a clue!  So keep it up, Jean.
Rachel "dairymaid" Myr [log in to unmask]
Kristiansand, Norway