From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 22:25:51 +0500
Judy Dunlap, I commend your efforts to help integrate some breastfeeding content
in the school health curriculum across all grade levels, and I've read with
interest the sharing of suggestions and efforts by others in reply.  I have
volunteered a lot of time in my kids' school libraries and have been struck
by the lack of images of breastfeeding in the books there.  I also asked
the school nurse at the elementary level whether breastfeeding content
couldn't be included.  Her reply was that there isn't really time, and that
it is better dealt with at the middle school level.  The middle school
doesn't include it either, of course.  The focus is always on body changes,
how babies are made, etc.  In doing research for an article on
breastfeeding in children's books I ended up writing to the authors of a
high school health textbook that in 700+ pages mentioned breastfeeding only
to warn of its dangers in regard to HIV infection, alcohol use, smoking and
drugs.  This is a book that had entire chapters on growth and development,
nutrition across the life span, pregnancy, child-rearing, decision-making,
healthy choices, etc. The author who wrote me back said that they did not
want to cover breastfeeding because it might be viewed as encouraging
teenage pregnancy.(!)
I am interested in getting more books with positive breastfeeding images
into school libraries and used in the school health curricula.  One
excellent book to encourage is Sheila Kitzinger's "Being Born," with
photographs by Lennart Nilsson.  It tells the story of a baby's
intrauterine growth and birth, ending with the first breastfeeding. (age 6
and up).  Another is Joanna Cole's "How You Were Born," especially the 1984
edition with photos by Hella Hammid.  This has one of my favorite
breastfeeding illustrations.  (Ages 3-11).  Both books are available in
paperback.  "See How You Grow: A Lift the Flap Body Book," by Patricia
Pearse (1988) also would fit well into a school health curriculum for young
children (ages 4-8) and has a nice breastfeeding illustration and no
bottles.
What I really want to see, of course, are lots of books in the school
libraries that show breastfeeding as part of everyday life and activities,
so the image is familiar and normal to all the kids. Not just books on
health.  But that's another issue, and I've already gone on way too long.
Sorry.
Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, WI