From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:49:45 +1000
I think perhaps I didn't make my question as clear as I should have.
Everywhere in the Western world (that I am aware of) have higher
breastfeeding rates among the more educated, middleclass women. I'm not 100%
sure of this reason either except that this group of women may be 'early
adopters' and take on new things faster. It was this same group of women
that led the charge away from breastfeeding last century and they have been
the first heading back. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway the question I was asking was not whether well educated women are
less likely to breastfeed because they are not. But rather whether well
educated professional women who are used to maintaining control over their
lives might have difficulty adjusting to 'going with the flow' of
breastfeeding and motherhood in general.
I have heard that women who have experienced invasive infertility treatments
might also have the same issues in addition to having experienced loss in
confidence in their body.

Karleen Gribble
Australia