From:
"Debbie Albert, Ph.D., IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 12:11:31 EDT

Barbara,

    There are cons to licensing, but do they outweigh  the pros?  It seems to
me that nurses, speech pathologists, physical  therapists, occupational
therapists, and even massage therapists are  licensed.  Do they have as much
trouble with third party billing as we  do?  Why does it seem that LCs need to get
RN degrees to be taken seriously  by the medical community?  In my area, they
will even hire an LPN in the  hospital before they would hire a Ph.D. IBCLC
without one?  Does this make  any sense?  I feel that the whole IBCLC credential
is not being taken  seriously by the medical community at large.  Perhaps a
license would add  more credence to the specialty.  It may be the ONLY way to
discern the  IBCLC from a CLC.  I do have to wonder why nail techs have to be
licensed  in my state, and I don't? Perhaps lack of licensure makes our
profession look  relatively unimportant.

Debbie  Albert, RN, Ph.D., LMHC, IBCLC, RLC
Tampa Lactation Counseling
Tampa,  FL

In a message dated 5/23/05 9:34:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,