Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:08:40 +0200
>Thanks for the information. This baby grew 5 inches by 4 months
>which I thought was impressive. The mother was told that he is at
>the 2 percentile for weight on the WHO breastfeeding growth charts
>and that any baby at or below 2% must be followed carefully. He was
>2% at birth and 2% at 4 months. I was always told that as long as
>they follow the same growth curve that they are fine.

Usual guidance here is that a fall through 2 centile spaces warrents
a closer look. A baby consistently on the 2nd centile would not, a
priori, be a concern.

>  I just wanted reassurance that my telling this mother that
>everything was fine was justified. It makes sense to scrape the fat
>off of the top of the pumped milk to add to other milk.

But why, if this baby fine and growing physiologically? The hassle is
considerable, and the effects are not physiological - it makes the
baby's intake artificially fattier :)

Heather Welford Neil NCT bfc, tutor, UK