Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:21:05 EST
Teresa Pitman posted a note on Lactnet yesterday about a 5-mo-old who was
given a bottle which then caused nipple confusion problems.  It "rang a
bell."  Twice I have had women call me with older babies (beyond a couple
months) who ended up with sore nipples after introducing the Playtex
nipple--the original design.  One of these women had been using an
orthodontic nipple prior to this with no problems.  When she introduced the
Playtex nipple, it seemed to change the baby's suck.  The second mother was
introducing the bottle for the first time.  Her baby also seemed to change
her suck.  I suggested to both moms that they get an orthodontic nipple.  The
problem disappeared in both cases.  Prior to these events, I had always told
moms that, as long as the breastfeeding was well established and the bottles
were given only on occasion, that it really didn't matter what nipple they
used.  Now I always caution against the standard Playtex, and recommend an
orthodontic nipple.
Cher Sealy, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Montgomery, Alabama