From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 01:42:20 +0200
Well, a last stop at the coalface before bed, to post a theory I had never
heard of before watching Six Feet Under this evening.  We are seasons
behind, so please bear with me, all of you to whom this is ancient history.
Lisa who is now married to Nate, some months after giving birth to their
daughter Maya, was conversing with friends over dinner about breastfeeding
the child - she was offered some salad without tuna fish but replied 'I
could use the protein, I'm breastfeeding', a reference to her not being a
vegetarian at the moment, I believe.  'In the beginning I was feeding her
all the time, and never had enough milk, and it HURT so much!  So I started
using fenugreek, and now I always have plenty of milk.  The only thing is,
my sweat kind of smells like maple syrup ... You know, mammary glands are
just modified sweat glands, and I hardly ever sweat, so maybe that's why it
hurt in the beginning.'  And lo! a new theory is born: women who perspire
scantily have pain during establishment of lactation because it hurts when
these modified sweat glands have to crank themselves into gear!
As if that weren't enough, when Ruth (grandma to Maya) tried to encourage
Nate to let her watch the baby, now 9 months old, for an entire evening or
even an overnight, so he and Lisa could get out and see a movie and go to
dinner, he gently but firmly refused the offer, saying Maya still hasn't
slept anywhere but the family bed yet.
This is a bizarre show and I love it.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway