From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 09:08:33 EST
In a message dated 12/6/03 8:28:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
"We need to find someone who is willing to expose this entire situation for
what it is..."

In my opinion this person, or group of people should be doctors.
Dear Friends:
    If doctors as a profession ( PLEASE recognize that there are many
wonderful individual physicians!) would uphold the Hippocratic Oath they swear,  the
Surgeon-General's Goals for our nation would have been met decades ago.
However, the profession has been shown to be at industry feeding troughs.
    We can't expect any Surgeon-General to come forth, as did Dr. Koop,
because a real crusader won't be appointed to be Surgeon-General.
    So we will have to do it ourselves, both individually and in groups. Keep
the ball rolling, with letters to editors, to legislators, to insurance
companies. There has to be some mother somewhere willing to launch a lawsuit
because her baby has been so damaged from artificial feeding recommended or
encouraged by a physician.
    I worked with a mother who was breastfeeding her 3rd baby, first
lactation. Her first child was artificially fed with no obvious problems. Her second
child had so many ear infections as a baby that the child became severely deaf.
She was ANGRY that no one had told her that breastfeeding was protective
against ear infections.
    Another way we all can become stronger is to speak truth. I worked with a
mother recently who had breastfed her first child. She had a second baby,
breastfed in the hospital, came home and stopped breastfeeding because her
nipples hurt. I arrived, as the insurance nurse, on day 4. I spoke with her and her
husband about the some of the risks of artificial feeding. I said that the
choice was hers to make, and that I wanted her to know both sides. I reminded
them that people can choose to smoke; as long as they know the risks, then it is
an informed choice. (Her husband laughed at this, as he is a smoker!)
    Then I encouraged her to hand express. She got 2 ounces easily out of
each side! And her baby latched on beautifully and nursed on each side. The
problem was breast swelling after birth, which made for a poor latch.
    I called her back after one day. She had weaned. "It is just so easy for
my husband to give her a bottle when I am busy."
    I let it go, feeling that at least I had given her the best information
to make a choice. I am sad about her choice, but it is a different kind of
feeling than I have had in the past where I have said things like, "Well you did
breastfeed for three days; you still gave your baby something good." That
approach always made me uncomfortable.
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE, craniosacral therapy
Adjunct faculty, Union Institute and University, Maternal and Child Health:
Lactation Consulting
Supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative