From:
Marit Olanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:31:23 +0200
Karleen, breastfeeding is different because it's not just another
task, it's not just feeding, it's comforting and all those other
things we all know and when it works, it's the part of the care that
can make mother and child settle and reconciliate. You don't expect
to acheive that with nappychanging. Nappychanging is never heaven or
hell, it can't make you as ill, can't make you hurt as badly managed
breastfeeding can (and not as happy). These are things I read between
the lines in one of your articles, a part about bottle-feeding being
the safe, well-known option in case of breasfeeding problems - if
bottle-feeding was what you were brought up with yourself.

Morgan - I think the problem in Sweden might be lack of knowledge
about breastfeeding managment, in society as a whole and in
particular in the health care staff. We have a problem with double
standards - nearly all new mothers initiate breastfeeding, but many
health care employees (even in leading positions) still expect
breastfeeding to take place every 3 to 4 hours after the very first
weeks and for the babies to sleep through the nights after the very
first months. That's how I mean there is an educational challenge,
tell parents-to-be about the risks of forumula, why not in a dialogue
that someone posted earlier, but simultaniously you have to
revolutionate the child health care system so that it permeates (?
dictionary problem) with realistic expectations on intervals between
feedings and awakenings at night as well as skilled support when
problems occur.

We do have a crisis of confidence for breastfeeding policy in Sweden
(and in Norway as well, I think) as a result of ignorant,
indifferent  caregivers who say "breast is best, we usually recommend
breastfeeding" without offering support neither with breastfeeding,
nor weaning. You can tell new parents as much as you like about the
risks of formula-feeding.
If you don't overcome the rest of the obstacles, i e denying women
support and help with breastfeeding managment, they still will
formula-feed as it still is the safe, known option.

Amningshjälpen's motto is to support the mother whatever her option
is about feeding. We haven't walked a mile in a particular mother's
shoes. If she feels she can offer her baby love and relaxation with a
bottle, but not at the breast, how can we say she is wrong?

Marit Olanders
pretty exhausted after a tussle with her college dictionaries