From:
Pascoes in Dubai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:37:29 +0400
There are very few new mums out there who unequivocally, intrinsically
believe that breastfeeding is possible and achievable, easy and mutually
beneficial. How often do we hear pregnant mums say about breastfeeding
"of course I am going to breastfeed, and it is going to work and my baby
and I are going to love it" . Well I sure haven't heard it much. Why?
Because everyone  has doubts, everyone has stories of close friends and
family where breastfeeding went terribly awry, because marketing of AIM
uses subtle imagery and wording to make breastfeeding seem an ideal that
is really rather unattainable, especially in this modern world.

When there are breastfeeding difficulties I am not surprised when mums
express reservations about the need to go through what may be protracted
period requiring extra time and patience and effort, and with no
guarantees. Few mums are aware of the dangers of weaning enough to have
the emotional and physical stamina and commitment to manage a difficulty
that will assist breastfeeding to continue, especially when they have
been scarcely afforded the time off their other duties and social
expectations to just recover from the delivery, let alone establish and
maintain breastfeeding.

I find many devices to be flawed in their design, difficult to clean,
imperfect in so many ways, but for many women I find myself thinking
"what suggestions can I make that will work quickly and with the least
amount of effort on the mum's behalf, to try and encourage them through
this difficulty with a  view to continue breastfeeding?" Hand expression
does require a mum to be more involved in the process- physically and in
her attention level. Sometimes I have  a very small window period with a
mum who needs results, and fast! Sometimes devices can be the fast track
that may enable the mum to feel that breastfeeding can continue even
just a bit longer.    I cant impose my preferences and beliefs on a mum,
I can just provide evidence based guidance and information so that she
can make the informed choice.

My job is to find management strategies that suit the mother I am
dealing with; her baby, her situation, her family and her lifestyle. Our
bottle feeding culture mean that we have to work so much harder to make
breastfeeding easier for a mum and baby to do, because there are so many
perceived advantages of artificial feeding.

I think our standards of practice say it all..refrain from unnecessary
and excessive use.

Meg Kingsley

Lay Breastfeeding Supporter, Dubai UAE

E-Mail :  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]