From:
Kathy Birt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 15:51:56 -0400
I am consulting with a pt whose baby has been readmitted to the hospital
with hyperbilirubinemia; The baby is 7 days old, breastfeeding well,
back to birth weight, no hx of bruising, coombs negative, Group B pos mom
(tx with antibiotics in labor x 3).  The initial bilirubin was 19.4 @ 5days
old & placed on phototherapy; now bili is down to 17.1; The pediatrician
has ordered her to discontinue breastfeeding for 24hrs and feed formula as
she feels the bili isn't coming down fast enough, therefore, could be due
to the breastmilk; The mother now thinks her milk is making the baby "sick"
and is afraid to breastfeed;  How can I approach this with the pediatrician
and the mom? I guess I feel like I don't know enough to "argue" the point
with the doctor and don't want to contradict the dr with the mom either.