Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:26:13 +0000
I have just caught up with this thread and seen the clip.....I  found
it very distressing. It's awful to think the young guy in the check
shirt was there as part of reality TV, and not one person noticed
this baby was making wonderful sucking and rooting movements and no
one noticed or responded.

Birth as a spectator sport - ack.

A similar (sort of) programme is scheduled to be on British TV soon,
'The Baby Borrowers' -  ranging from babies  to toddlers to
pre-schoolers to teens - are removed from their parents (with the
parents consent....) and placed with inexperienced teen babysitters
for several days and nights  at a time. I am not kidding. The parents
watch by video link, and assess the teens on how well the kids are
cared for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/baby_borrowers/episode_guide.shtml

One baby is actually removed from the care of his babysitters after a
day - not explained why.  In the pics, the babies look to be from
about four months old. The teens are challenged to cope with a
'constant round of crying, nappy changing and feeding'.  So no place
for bf there, then, or even an acknowledgment of the importance of
attachment.

I was approached to write some of the support material on the website
for this programme - I have written a lot for the BBC, and they are a
regular client, but on this occasion I said 'no'...what on earth
could I have said that would have been publishable!!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK