From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:33:34 -0800
To the best of my understanding all that MD actually got from scraping the
baby's mouth is a bunch of dead epithelial cells (the remnants of yeast die
off).  If the baby had nice fluffy patches, that might be different.
Ironically, yeasts are incredibly difficult to culture off the bf dyad
because it appears as though the lactoferrin and other wonderful attack
creatures living in EXPRESSED breastmilk go after pathogenic cells that are
hanging out.  This is why pumped milk will have fewer microbes 1/2 an hour
after being pumped than immediately after pumping.  I'm not a
microbiologist, but this is definitely what I've seen under the microscope
in my own tinkering.

What I don't understand is why these same docs when a mom responds to yeast
tx will agree that "it must have been yeast".  I don't think this doctor is
going to be receptive to "educating" so I'd either use natural remedies (I
could help you help her with this) or seek another MD.

Warmly,
--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: Lactation Consulting, Perinatal Health
Education and Attachment Parenting Classes for parents and practitioners