From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:19:26 -0500
Hello all,

Virginia writes:

"About  202,000 households in south-east  Queensland are without electric
power,  and some areas have no mobile  phone  (cell phone)  connectivity

Just to update (Monday) - it is now 238,000 households  without
electricity."

~~~ Virginia,

My heart goes out to all those families. Here in Brooklyn, In New York
City, NY, USA it's been since end of October, after our storm, and there are
still thousands without heat, some also without power,  in this now  frigid
winter. In Dec, six weeks out the # was still near 10,000 just in one  area
in NYC(the Rockaways.) I know the number is lower now, but still in the
thousands. On Tuesdays, even now, my friend and I take a shift to drive out
cooked, hot food for between 70-130 people without. The pick-up   "station" at
the church cooks for 1,000 every day. I remember thinking,  I  know there
are dangers/challenges of artificial feeding and needing to  express milk for
a non-latching baby when there is no access to hot water,  no access to heat
and/or electricity, but feel very unprepared to actually help  anyone who
was not breastfeeding well when the storm hit. People still have  problems,
even if they live in areas not hit by the storm,with no functioning  hot
water heaters in crotchety old buildings, or withholding landlords, and they
need to safely prepare artificial feeds. In the time between these disastrous
events and storms, I hope here we can make progress in helping more moms
and  babies to get breastfeeding relationships well established in general. In
your  part of the world, you have many of the world's experts on infant
feeding in  emergencies. I hope your leaders and communities make use of this.
It was  heartening to hear about the mom who said she needed nappies but not
food since  she was breastfeeding. I didn't hear that here.

Anyway, thinking of you and your part of this globe we share.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA