Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:25:58 +0900
On 25/02/2007, at 10:49, Catherine Watson Genna, IBCLC wrote:

> I've had many moms in my practice pump for one or even 2 years
> without any breast discomfort or damage. Something is wrong if this
> mom is having pain and discoloration. Check flanges size, suction/
> vacuum settings and use a vacuum gauge to make sure the pump is
> functioning properly. If it is, have her change pumps or even
> brands to try to find a better "fit".

With pumping pain, please also consider advising the mother on
lubricating the flanges in the nipple contact area before pumping.
Some mums use cold pressed olive oil, some use extra virgin coconut
oil (NOT hydrogenated of course). For many EPers, this makes an
enormous amount of difference to their comfort, and can also reduce
nipple damage. Be sure she is not applying lanolin before pumping, as
it tends to be too adhesive, rather than allowing the nipple to slide
smoothly in the flange. Perhaps check for the use of other substances
on the nipple - there are a few "breast therapy" type products on the
market which contain multiple potentially-allergenic ingredients.

Is she using a hands-free setup? I found when trying to hold the
flanges, as well as it becoming a tedious chore, I would tend to let
the flanges slip out of place unless I concentrated on them all of
the time (this was how I got a blood blister one time!). With a well-
fitting hands-free bra, once the flanges are correctly centred they
should stay in place.

Lara Hopkins