From:
Wanda Mertick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:39:54 -0400
>>Cynthia wrote:  I'm wondering this: If a mother can kneel and nurse her
baby from directly above the baby and can bend over the baby to nurse while
the baby is in a car seat in a moving car and can nurse a baby while the
baby is in a baby chair of some kind, why couldn't a mother nurse a baby
while a circumcision is conducted?  Is there something real that makes
breastfeeding during a circumcision impossible? Or is it that mothers and/or
physicians don't know that breastfeeding doesn't have to be done only in the
cradle hold?<<

When my son was 22 months he cut his foot and needed stitches.  As he
was being examined and then sutured, I offered nursing to him but he
would have none of it until the doctor was done.  Mind you, he wasn't
restrained as infants are for circs, and he was lying on his tummy, so he
was busy trying to turn around to see what the doctor was doing, screaming
the whole time.  Also, he has always hated his feet being touched, so part
of the screaming may have been due to holding his foot still and
manipulating it, as well as pain.

Re:  positioning:  I'm sure physicians could lower the circ table, move the
baby's head closer to the edge to allow for better positioning, etc.  But
let's also remember that these moms have just given birth and often have
sore bottoms and backs, many are first time breastfeeding moms, and although
this would be a good lesson re:  creative positioning and use of
breastfeeding for comfort rather than food alone, I don't know how many moms
would/could do it.

Has anyone done this or seen it done during circumcision, and did it work?

Wanda Mertick, RN, MN, IBCLC
Port Matilda, PA