From:
Marian Rigney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 08:14:38 +1000
>The hospital where I work as an IBCLC recently hired a male RN in the
> >labor and delivery area.  All new nurses must work with me for a day >or
>two to learn how to assist mothers to breastfeed.  This is my >first
>experience working with a male nurse.  Does a female nurse have >to/should
>be present when he examines the patient either during labor >or when
>assisting with breastfeeding?
The nurse concerned is a health care professional just the same as a doctor
and as such should be unnecessary to place limitations on his work just
because of his sex.  Does a male obstetriticion refuse to examine a clients
breasts without a female present?  I have worked with male nurses in both
NICU and SCN for about 18 years.  Currently my Clinical Nurse Consulatant
(charge nurse) is a male and when the work load demands it frequently
assists with breastfeeding.  As a matter of fact he is one of my referees
for the IBCLE this year.  In Australia when this issue first arose within
maternity units in the 70s initially a lot a questions were asked and
clarification was needed.  Males wishing to study Midwifery back then had to
fight hard for their right to do so. The bottom line was that hospitals
where I worked recognised that they were health care professionals and
should perform the same duties as everyone else regardless of sex.
Marian Rigney RN IBCLC candidate