From:
June Rychlik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 23:23:33 EDT
In a message dated 5/12/01 10:24:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I work for WIC as a nutritionist....and I'll be writing the Lacation
Consultant exam in July. This is my first post, and I've been enjoying the
forum here and quietly learning.
I wanted to respond to the following post to say that I had a former client
of mine who had only one functional breast, (she had lost much functional
glandular tissue in one breast from a severe burn when she was a teen)..
Only using one breast, she breastfeed four beautiful daughters.  Two of the
girls she nursed exclusively, no formula, only adding solids at appropriate
times, for over a year.

The other two girls were TWINS :)  She nursed then exclusively for four
months. She told me that she would have gone longer if she could have nursed
them at same time. She stopped at four months from exhaustion.  She was
talking care of four small children and it seemed like one of the twins was
always hungry.  Her one breast  made plenty of milk for two babies.

<< I had a mom contact the office the other day who had 1 breast removed due
 to cancer about 5 years ago.  The other breast is intact and has not been
 altered in any way.  She REALLY wants to breastfeedand is due at the end of
 June and realizes that it IS possible to breastfeed from just one side.
 What she wanted to know is what type of sucess can she expect?  Has anyone
 worked with any moms who have had similar situations?  How long were they
 able to exclusively BF from just 1 breast?  >>

June Rychlik, BS, M.Ed.