Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:42:30 -0800
     Infrequent stooling is very common in exclusively breastfed babies.
In my practice, I have found many parents VERY concerned about
infrequent bowel movements in exclusively breastfeeding babies - seems
as though I field this question at least once a week.  Just talked with
a mom last week for a routine 6 week phone follow-up who quit
breastfeeding because she was worried about "the baby getting enough to
eat" based only on the infrequent stooling pattern.  When questioned,
baby was gaining weight and otherwise sounded like she was doing well
(baby was 4 weeks old).  Not sure if she would have continued otherwise
but this was the reason for weaning that the mother gave.
     I find this to be very common - only among exclusively breastfed
babies.  We really need to be careful about making this an issue at all
and thus producing another barrier to continued breastfeeding.
     On a personal note, my middle child (now 7) was of the stooling
every 7 days variety.  She was like clockwork and on that 7th day, I
just planned on staying home because nothing would contain her very
large BM's.  My other 2 girls had more frequent BM's.  No allergies or
food sensitivities - all healthy.  The infrequent stools changed
immediately after solids were started.

Pam Rardon RN, IBCLC
Anchorage, Alaska - where it is snowing already!