From:
Tina Lavy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:28:27 -0400
I noticed this in the comment section of the Healthy People 2020 webpage.

International Formula Council on 12/31/2009 11:55:00 AM
Objective Clarification, Objective Text: The International Formula Council (IFC) appreciates the opportunity to provide comments on the proposed Healthy People 2020 Objectives. The IFC is an association of manufacturers and marketers of formulated nutrition products, e.g., infant formulas and adult nutritionals, whose members are based predominantly in North America.* We fully support and commend the aim of Healthy People 2020 to improve the health of all infants. We also fully support exclusive breastfeeding, especially within the first six months of life, as recommended by numerous health authorities.

We recommend amending the language for this objective to read: “Increase the percentage of live births that occur in facilities that provide comprehensive infant nutrition education and care to mothers and their babies.” Without the revised language, this objective is discriminatory against mothers and infants who cannot, and mothers who choose not to, breastfeed, and could potentially endanger the health of formula-fed infants.

When a mother cannot or chooses not to breastfeed, we agree with the American Academy of Pediatrics, and others, that iron-fortified infant formula is the only safe, nutritious and recommended alternative to breast milk. In order to make informed feeding choices, new mothers should be provided with complete information on all appropriate feeding options. A May 2009 national poll of mothers found that, while a majority believes breastfeeding is best for their baby (84%) and themselves (79%), 78 percent of mothers agree that new moms should receive information on breastfeeding, as well as other feeding options, so they can make in informed choice.

Once a mother chooses her infant feeding method, she has the right to be fully supported in her decision and receive all of the information she needs to safely and successfully deliver nutrition to her baby. A systematic literature review of mothers’ experiences with bottle-feeding, which was published in the August 2009 journal Archives of Disease in Childhood, found that while moms recognize the benefits of breastfeeding, those who bottle-feed do not receive adequate information (including infant formula safe preparation) and support from the healthcare providers and, thus, may ultimately put their babies’ health at risk. A key finding from the review is that mothers who bottle-fed their infants were riddled with negative feelings of inadequacy, guilt and failure. The authors of this study conclude: “While it is important to promote breastfeeding,” {an objective outlined in MICH HP 2020-12 and reinforced in MICH HP 2020-26 and 2020-27}, “it is also necessary to ensure that the needs of bottle-feeding mothers are not overlooked.”