From:
Fay Bosman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 10:35:14 -0400
I tend to agree, for the most part, with Heather's comments. And not knowing the age of the babies does make it a little harder to guess what might be going on.

With each of my two births, I personally experienced my transition to L2 with extreme engorgement. I struggled ineffectively to relieve that engorgement (I know more now, but even using what I knew back then, it made little difference.) On about day 5 with first baby (and I don't remember when with #2), I went from 'gushing' with milk (in my perception) to not being able to express even 5ml.

I went on to battle the issue, and at 7.5 weeks did, eventually, build a full milk supply and breastfed that baby for 2.5 years. The second time, it took even longer to rebuild my production - about 9.5 weeks, even with all sorts of supportive tools in place. That baby I nurse for well over 3 years.

I have never found a definitive explanation for what happened, but suspect that unresolved engorgement caused significant apoptosis which caused the sudden shut down of milk production. I believe that the very slow rebuilding of milk production was essentially the effect of 'relactating'.

I have always wished I could write these experiences up as case studies, because I would love to have more information out there for others who experience the same thing, and for researchers to have available. Unfortunately, my recall of the exact details of what and when are not 100% clear, so I don't think it'll have much value. :(

One other thing you could look into for your clients is Theca Lutein Cysts - a possible issue with testosterone that can significantly delay L2. See http://jhl.sagepub.com/content/18/3/264.abstract

Best,
Fay

Fay Bosman, IBCLC