From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 22:25:25 -0500
Hi.I am working with a mother and need feedback, please. Mother is older
first time mom. Very very intelligent. Reads voraciously. An attorney.
Father is ill, and dealing with pain, and so this is causing additional
stress. Mom calls me from hospital, needing bf assistance. This is 10 days
ago. I have seen her 3 times since.  Things were good for a while.   Baby
was not latching at all at first visit.. I have seen her three times since
then. Baby would not latch at all on day 5. Baby would latch and suck well
with silicone nipple shield. Milk supply good, supported with double pump,
and baby was being finger fed with syringe in addition to feeding on shield.
Mother very relieved to have any breastfeeding happening at all. Over next
few days, mother was able to discard shield for 50=75% of feedings, but now
is SORE as all get out. a "7" on a scale of 1- 10. I took a good look
tonight again.

Baby is growing well. Tongue is SHORT. When baby cries, tongue goes straight
to roof of mouth. Doesn't extend much farther than lower lip, which is
small. Slightly receding chin. Big suck blister on upper lip. Hard for me to
even flange lips when bf. Positioning good as far as I can tell, although it
would be nice if lips were flanged more.    Clutch hold seems to help.
Mother able to bf comfortably for a few seconds in that position tonight,
but feels that she must use shield, because of the pain. Baby's output is
good. Just keeps bobbing on and off the breast, and will finally settle into
sucking for a few minutes, after a long battle.

As mother changed baby, I saw a red yeasty looking rash. Mother put some
Ivory soap on washcloth, when washing bottom, so it could also be that..but
it looked suspiciously like yeast to me. I have her all my info on that, as
well as my BF tomes/books..and she is going to read this. SHe is coping with
an ill husband, and incredibly sore bf , and is going to give it a few more
weeks, and then will consider bottlefeeding breastmilk.  Palate is normal.
Suck feels normal to me. Frenulum is not even visible under tongue. I just
see a wall of tissue, and a tongue that seems short.

Sigh.

ANy insight would be appreciated. Thanks. Kathleen PS I am not so much
worried about the shield, as baby is getting enough, and mom's supply is
good. I am worried about the pain. I am thinking that if tongue is short,
that baby will grow into breastfeeding. Mom's breasts are fairly large, with
smallish nipples. Pink.  I just can't figure out what else to do , except to
trouble shoot for thrush as well ( gave her gentian violet in water, .5%,
info, Jack.).

Thoughts?  PLEASE?

Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
LACTNET WWW http://www.telcomplus.net/~kga/lactation.html