Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:03:37 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Hello all Lactnetters with interest in BFHI.  
I have been working on a brief statement about the benefits of the BFHI, which I hope to use when I speak about the Initiative.  I am posting this with a request that you read it and comment.  Of course there is much more that could be said, but I want a brief, succinct statement.  As a global initiative, the statements should be true anywhere (with perhaps an exception on the use of the term midwife.  In Australia almost all postnatal, as well as intranatal care, is carried out by qualified midwives.  However the medical/nursing model of care is far more prevalent than holistic woman-centred wellness models).
With thanks,
Joy Johnston (Convenor of the BFHI State Committee)
Melbourne Australia

WHO BENEFITS FROM BABY-FRIENDLY?

1       The woman and her child
* Consistent care, information and advice-  Staff in maternity and paediatric units have a written policy, which they understand and follow.
* Consistent and skilled help with breastfeeding-  Staff are required to be able to support women who wish to breastfeed.
* Early initiation of breastfeeding-  Babies are not unnecessarily removed from mothers at birth, thereby encouraging the instinctive seeking and suckling behaviours.  When mother and baby need to be separated the mother is helped with expressing her milk and the expressed milk is given to the baby.
* Mother's milk is valued-  No food or drink other than breastmilk is given.
* Breastfeeding is valued:  Artificial teats and dummies are avoided.
* Empowerment- the woman has authority for her own resource, breastfeeding.
2       Those who care for mothers and babies
* Increased knowledge, as evidence for the Global Criteria becomes better understood.
* Increased skill - staff are committed to the support of breastfeeding mothers and their babies, even the difficult ones. (ie can't take the easy option) 
* Increased professional competence, as practices are investigated and challenged, and changes are made.
* A new respect for the woman, the baby, and their ability to breastfeed when given appropriate support.  The midwife is "with woman", rather than providing nursing management of a disease.
* As the care becomes 'woman-centred' rather than 'task centred', all staff respect the woman's need for consistent advice and empowerment, thereby increasing cooperation and collaboration between different staff members. 
3       Maternity units
* A high standard, that is measured by the unit, and confirmed by a BF team representing professional and lay assessors.
* A Global standard, recognised and respected by professionals and consumers.
* Valuable in marketing the services provided.
* Considerable monetary savings.
4       The family
* Health and development of infant
* Health of mother
* Cost saving - immediate and long term
5       The community
* Flow-on from family
* Environmental considerations - No waste products
Joy Johnston.  1997

ATOM RSS1 RSS2