From:
Diane Perrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1981 17:46:16 -0800
Your post interested me because I am seeing an 8 month old girl who has
been exclusively breastfed.  She developed cervical lymphadenitis with
two abscesses that tested positive for strep.  She has been on
Cephtrioxone IV daily for one week and now has about 5 days to go.  On
the 5th day she developed a pink bottom.  Today it is bright red, but
the skin is dry and intact and doesn't seem to bother her.  I suspect
this may be yeast.  What do you think?  Mom said baby had thrush through
most of the first month of life, but mother has not had any problem with
yeast infections.

This is the same baby I wrote about several days ago.  She had another
aspiration of the abscesses under sedation yesterday. Mother nursed her
until two hours before the procedure and as soon as she indicated she
wanted to nurse after she woke up.  This time was easier for both Mom
and baby and everything went well.  The staff again insisted on NPO for
8 hours before the procedure, but Mom disregarded this and the staff
remarked at how relaxed and good humored the baby seemed to be this
time.  Mom tried not to give it away!

Thanks to those who replied to my request.

Diane Perrone
Materna Wellborn
Algonquin    IL   USA