From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:51:36 -0400
Hi folks. I 'd like to congratulate Cindy Anderson from the Univ. of North
Dakota once again, for having a prepared student join our ranks. Sara, we
are glad to have you join our discussion, and we applaud the thoroughness
of your post to our list. You obviously are well prepared and well taught
by Cindy Anderson, your professor.  You set a nice example of how to post a
question, backing things up with the references that you have found to
apply to the situation.

The only thing I would ask is that the replies go to the list AND to you
personally at [log in to unmask] .  That way, we can all enjoy and
benefit from the discussion.  Have a good day, and again, nice job. Kathleen

________

Hello, my name is Sara Schelkoph and I am a second semester junior studying
nursing at the University of North Dakota. This is my first posting to
lactnet. I am beginning a research project on the beliefs and attitudes of
high school students towards breastfeeding and how personal experiences
affects these. Professor Cindy Anderson, MSN, WHNP, IBCLC, and I will be
going into a local high school and administering a questionnaire that
addresses these issues. We will then proceed with an educational lesson on
breastfeeding followed by a questionnaire to evaluate if education has
influenced their attitudes/beliefs about breastfeeding.
Rational:
Teenagers may be an important target group for breastfeeding promotion
because many consider the choice of infant feeding before planning pregnancy
and have not yet decided whether to breastfeed or not (Leffler, 2000).
Students who are more comfortable and knowledgeable might develop more
positive attitudes about breastfeeding in their formative years (Forrester,
Wheelock, Warren 1997).
More positive attitudes about breastfeeding were found among students who
had increased exposure to and knowledge of breastfeeding. Additionally,
knowledge and attitude were found to influence the choice of future infant
feeding methods (Cusson, 1985).
If anyone has any information, comments, questions, or concerns I would be
truly grateful if you would e-mail me personally at [log in to unmask]
Thank you!!!