From:
Ellen Kadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:25:25 -0500
This week we had a lactation meeting with our nurse manager, and have a concern I have
been asked to run by you all.

A mom with a baby in the NICU apparently brought in milk that looked suspicious, so it
was cultured and something (I do not know what) grew.  The feeling was that cleanliness
of pump parts and/or storage bottle might be an issue.

We have about 2800 births per year, and a 16-bed NICU.  Moms are loaned a hospital-
grade pump while the baby is in the hospital and given a kit for home and a kit for use
with a pump in NICU.  Currently, we do not have facilities for soap and water washing of
parts in the NICU, but it is not felt this is an issue.  Moms have a number of M** bottles,
and in addition are given reusable 4-oz. bottles

We have been instructing mother to wash parts and bottles after each use with warm,
soapy water, rinse well, air dry, and use the top rack of the dishwasher once a day if
they have one, or boil the parts.  I usually remind them they can use a microwave
instead of a stove, because I have known too many women who have forgotten the parts
boiling on the stove and melted them or worse.  We are now instructing to take valves
and membranes off once a day to clean.

Does anyone have a different protocal?  We are now considering the use of non-reusable
bags, which would be an added expense, and interferes with immune properties of
breastmilk.

If you have a different protocol or any suggestions, we would be most grateful.  Feel free
to contact me off-list.

And thanks so much.

Ellen Kadden MA, IBCLC, LLL
The Stamford Hospital