Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:25:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
This week we had a lactation meeting with our nurse manager, and have a concern I have 
been asked to run by you all.

A mom with a baby in the NICU apparently brought in milk that looked suspicious, so it 
was cultured and something (I do not know what) grew.  The feeling was that cleanliness 
of pump parts and/or storage bottle might be an issue.

We have about 2800 births per year, and a 16-bed NICU.  Moms are loaned a hospital-
grade pump while the baby is in the hospital and given a kit for home and a kit for use 
with a pump in NICU.  Currently, we do not have facilities for soap and water washing of 
parts in the NICU, but it is not felt this is an issue.  Moms have a number of M** bottles, 
and in addition are given reusable 4-oz. bottles

We have been instructing mother to wash parts and bottles after each use with warm, 
soapy water, rinse well, air dry, and use the top rack of the dishwasher once a day if 
they have one, or boil the parts.  I usually remind them they can use a microwave 
instead of a stove, because I have known too many women who have forgotten the parts 
boiling on the stove and melted them or worse.  We are now instructing to take valves 
and membranes off once a day to clean.

Does anyone have a different protocal?  We are now considering the use of non-reusable 
bags, which would be an added expense, and interferes with immune properties of 
breastmilk.

If you have a different protocol or any suggestions, we would be most grateful.  Feel free 
to contact me off-list. 

And thanks so much.

Ellen Kadden MA, IBCLC, LLL
The Stamford Hospital
Stamford CT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2