From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 18:07:42 +0200
I don't know how pediatricians are educated about BF here, but most of them
have first-hand experience with their own children, which helps.

A few years back when we were doing Baby-Friendly Hospital evaluations, we
had to interview obstetricians.  The one I recall who answered the most
knowledgeably, was an older man from Poland, and I doubt whether anyone of
the midwifery staff had any idea that he was an absolute champion at
assessing latch, because obstetricians *never* do clinical breastfeeding
support.  The ob/gyn I remember best was unable to come up with anything
except 'make sure baby has a patent airway' when asked how to assess
latch/positioning.  He did emphasize the airway about 5 times while wracking
his brain trying to think of something more.

The whole thing was really just an exercise, since obstetricians have very
little to do with lactating women on the whole.  By the time the big
problems arise, it is the family physician who gets them.  These seem to
have 'variable' knowledge levels about the care of breastfeeding dyads.

We're working on it, but it is slow going.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway