Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:04:37 EDT
The comment was made:

<<  Not only was this a safer time to deliver, but consider multips birthing
at
  home. When oh when could you birth in peace during the daytime?   >>

Once, a long time ago, just for fun, I decided to go through our
labor/delivery log at our hospital and see when all the "Emergency"
C/Sections were performed.  Now, theoretically, an "emergency" C/Section
should occur at any time of the day or night (by the simple fact that it is
an emergency, means it isn't planned....and needs to be done immediately,
n'cest pas?)  I figured they ought to be pretty well equalled out between the
three shifts -- days, afternoons, and midnights.

Wrong.  A full two thirds of the "emergency" C/Sections were done between
8:00 am and 4:00 pm -- the other third was pretty equally divided between pms
and nights, with a slight preponderance of them done on the earlier portion
of the afternoon shift (4 pm to about 8 pm).

Made me wonder, it did....

Jan Barger -- still in Montrose, PA, pretending to be on vacation.