From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:42:17 +0200
Mary Kay notes that it helps to be oriented about what infant feeding
products are available and their various characteristics, when working with
mothers who may be using them, and I agree.  I don't agree that a good way
to learn about them is from marketing representatives at commercial exhibits
at professional conferences.

A good way to learn would be from an independent evaluation comparing the
various products and describing them.  It is essential for our purposes that
such an evaluation be carried out by someone knowledgeable about infant
suckling anatomy and physiology, who is not connected in any way to a
manufacturer of any of the products.  Just as I prefer to inform myself
about drug effects from industry-independent sources, I prefer to learn
about products from someone other than those standing to make more money if
I believe them.  I know that at least three companies marketing bottle teats
in Norway claim that theirs is 'most like the breast' and 'reduces colic'.
They can't all be right, and maybe none of them are right.

Consumer ratings serve some purpose, but they usually focus on ease of use
and ease of maintenance, and not on how much the product disturbs, threatens
or undermines breastfeeding.  For that, we need good, independent research.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway