From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:47:11 EDT
Hi Jennifer,
You make some good points!
you write;
>>I have to say that I am rarely presented with a fat happy baby who only has
as a "symptom"  soft but infrequent stools.<<
Ahhh, and this is definitely reflected in your conclusions. I must say that I
would have had little exposure myself if not for my time as a hospital based
LC with an active telephone call in component. We received at least a few
calls a week from Moms and sometimes pedis concerned with a scenario
presented very much as the above.
you also write;
>>I don't tout bf babies as the norm, at least not those born in the US.
Perhaps it is normal for babies who are born drugged and traumatized, fed too
infrequently (and often fed AIM), separated from their mothers, and whose
mothers consume the Standard American Diet to stool infrequently, but how
would this apply to the biological norm?<<
What I meant by "touting brfed babies as the norm" was using the exclusively
brfed infant as the standard by which to judge "averages" or "normal ranges"
in infancy, which of course, we do tout and should. I am also referring to
infants not newborns, usually greater than 3 wks of age who up until that
point have  had very frequent stooling patterns, very much in line with all
br fed newborns thus I don't believe being drugged or traumatized would have
a role at this point.  Also, as I mentioned, I am referring to exclusively
brfed babies no ABM at all. I haven't found that babies fed a combo (br and
ABM) manifest THIS type of infrequent stooling pattern. If infrequent, they
are usually gassy and unhappy:( .  As a matter of fact, I have spoken with at
least a few Moms who began offering ABM as a way to increase the stooling
when they and pedi felt the infrequency was a problem!
As far as separated from their mothers or mom's diet, I can't rule either of
those out as a factor. Maybe the constant movement in a sling, as one poster
suggested, or too much fatty dairy have a role, I don't know but it is
certainly worth examining and discussing!
I am, as usual, fascinated by your explanation of the use of homeopathy and
look forward to continuing to learn more about it!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts