From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 07:17:21 -0400
Have 6 babies who are potential for Synagis(1998 RSV vaccine)  this year or
had Respigam(1997 RSV vaccine)  last year.  Two were BF early on and did
not get RSV last winter. One baby on Respigam also got RSV anyway.  I'm
trying to think very hard, but I don't think any BF baby in our practice
had RSV last winter and we had a LOT of RSV unfortunately!  BTW neither on
the two "vaccines" are a vaccine the way we think of it.  More like a dose
of antibodies to boost resistance and must be given monthly and costs a
BUNCH.  The indicators for Synagis are BPD and early prematurity <29 weeks
and premature < 34 weeks.  Maybe someone from one of the large NICUs could
tell us their stats.  I am trying to get Syngis for 2 babies ( 1 BF
briefly, 1 not BF at all) who had a lot of trouble with RSV last winter,
but don't fit the BPD/premature guidelines.  Unfortunately RSV seems to  be
recatchable like a cold.  I think I'll try to  keep a better count this
winter.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ