From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:35:42 +1000

>Just read your Lactnet post and I must say I'm pleased.  I especially like
>that the one to be reseated would be the person compaining rather than the
>mother and child.  I also like that the lavatory and hiding under a blanket
>were seen as non-options.  As a mother who still nurses her 3 yr old on
>every ascent and descent, I would consider using AA over others if price
>were in a similar ball-park in order to a) feel more supported and thus
>comfy as I nursed my son and b) to support those who truly support bf!  I
>wish more companies had the policy that bf is normal and the complainer
>should be made comfortable but not by interferring with the bf couple.  I
>think reseating the complainer is a wonderful way of handling it!  Now if
>only restaurants, stores, etc would catch on.  And if they would only *make
>these policies public knowledge* so that nursing moms could take advantage
>of them/show support.

I first met my husband when we were both working at a Pizza Hut in 1974.  He
tells me that the policy way back then was than any customer who complained
about a woman breastfeeding would be asked to leave if they were offended by
this, as the Pizza Hut was a family restaurant, and breastfeeding was a
perfectly normal family event.

Lesley McBurney
Brisbane, Australia
NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor (Clayfield/Wilston Group, Qld)
Publications Revision & New Publications Working Groups
Admin Assistant, NMAA Qld Branch office
International Conference Registrations Committee