From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:58:11 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/0 7:59:29 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I'm no expert, but chiropractic is quite different to CST.
cranio-sacral therapy is an incredibly gentle touch - i have to say I'm
slighty skeptical about it - our 2nd son had it done (very "high need", no
sleeping difficult bf-ing type baby) and the well-regarded therapist told me
his spincter of Oddi was out - this diagnosed by palpating thru winter
clothing 3 layers thick! Use a type of finger-tip pressure on cranial bones,
helps correct mal-alignment. The CST therapists recommend every newborn has
it done.

Chiropractic seems more manipulative to me, and works on a tune up approach
rather than treatment.

Kirsten and Fiona,
The differences between CST and chiropractic vary with the practitioners. The
more highly skilled chiropractors I know also are trained in CST and tend to
use primarily CST techniques for infants. Network Chiropractic is very
different from traditional chiropractic and involves very little
manipulation. It is very gentle and my children love it (including my 2 year
old who had his first experience at 24 hours). I do not agree that
chiropractic is only a tune-up rather than treatment. This may be more true
of traditional chirooractic, but is definately not the case with Network. In
Network, the nervous system is stimulated to correct the body itself.
Basically, the body receives a message of what is needed and the body
responds by coming into balance. It is amazing to watch, really, as a child's
body just "unwinds" in front of you, or to feel your own body self-correct.
Becuase the body is not forced, the correction becomes a part of the body's
memory and allows for deep healing. I have seen serious allergies, asthma and
many breastfeeding difficulties corrected very simply when Network or CST
were part of the process.
    I understand the skepticism--no one I know, including myself, who trusts
these techniques began by believing in them, but experiencing them makes me
trust them. I truly believe that as science becomes more adept at explaining
the world through physics, these kinds of techniques will become more easily
understood as well. It seems to me that there is usually a thought that
something is possible before it can be explained--a suspension of disbelief,
if you will.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA