From:
Fleur Bickford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:35:38 -0500
I am also really enjoying this conversation! I am the "aspiring IBCLC" that
Beth mentions in her post (Hi Beth!). As Beth mentioned, I myself am
tongue-tied, although I noticed it very recently (I wasn't breastfed, and no
one has ever mentioned it to me). Both of my children are also tongue-tied.
My son has a type 2 tie and although I never had a problem with sore nipples
with him, he used to nurse very frequently, and for a long period of time
(every 1 1/2 - 2 hours for an hour at a time). I ended up weaning him at 5
months due to very severe biting that had me in tears every time it was time
to feed. I didn't know as much back then, and hadn't found LLL yet. Looking
back I wonder if the severe biting was related to the tongue-tie (I'm sure
the frequent and long nursing was, although his weight gain was never an
issue). He has also snored since he was a baby, has a high palate, and will
need a lot of orthodontic work (just like I did).

My daughter has a posterior tie, and I also had severe oversupply due to
post-partum thyroiditis. My nipples were a mess! I had severe damage, but I
was determined to breastfeed. My nipples were finally completely healed
around the time she turned 4 months old, and she nursed for just over 3 years.

As Beth mentioned, there is no one in our area who will clip a posterior
tie, and I recently had my son evaluated by a pediatric dentist who
dismissed the fact that he is tongue-tied. He wasn't listening to me, and
said that my son could elevate his tongue just fine (missing the fact that
he had to close his mouth quite a bit to do it), commented on his high
palate, but dismissed the possibility that it could be related to
tongue-tie, and when I commented on the dimpling of the tip of his tongue
when he sticks it out, the dentist brushed it off and said "oh he just has a
bifurcated tongue". Sigh, it was such a waste of time and money!

Warmly,
Fleur Bickford BSc., RN, LLLL
Ontario, Canada