Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 00:48:06 EDT
Sandy Arnold, who may not be on lactnet right now, actually *ended* the
formula give-aways at the hospital where she gave birth, with a single
well-phrased, well-placed letter.
       Yes, one letter!  I was not an IBCLC or a hospital employee at the
time, and wrote it from a *consumer* point of view--I think that is VERY
important!   I asked the hospital IBCLC at the time who would be ther best
person to send it to & she gave me the administrator's name over the
maternity unit.  It sure got their attention!  The hospital responded that it
was the Pediatricians that had it on their standing orders to hand them out,
so they were just following orders.  I had cc'd the Chief of Peds (my Ped) &
it was presented at their section meeting.  Two of the Peds stepped up to the
issue & stated that the research was clear & called the question as to
whether they were going to *help* the formula companies--they voted
unanimously to end the handouts!  So don't EVER think that ONE letter can't
change things.....that was over 7 years ago & still no handouts!
Sandy Arnold BS, IBCLC
Indiana (currently no-mail for Lactnet)