From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 09:59:03 -0700
Sorry, that many on this list won't agree with this article, but I
certainly experienced it--exactly as described, depression and all.

Once my brother-in-law hooked up my baby's cradle to a 45rpm record
player from a Goodwill store via a broom handle (the turntable rotated
completely silently--different from later swings.)

Up to then my 7 month old non-sleeper never slept straight through
the night.  The very next morning I was thoroughly elated.  I told
everyone "I am normal again."  It was a lifesaver to get a whole
night sleep the very first time and night after night.

Today, you can get arrested for driving while "impaired" and sleep
deprived is considered impaired.  There are meds from the pharmacist
that says "don't operate machinery while taking this medication."
Well, no quality sleep (no REM sleep) can put you, your loved ones
and others on the road all at life risk.

If you'll ask any sleep researcher (male or female) they'll say sleep
is essential for health and rebuilding of cells.  Nighttime is when
it happens, when babies grow and our immune systems recover.  That's why
meds such as chemotherapy are more potent in the early am, according to
biorhythm studies.

Attending my LLL meetings at the time, the one thing that got me was
the constant "meeting all the children's needs" statements.  Well, I
wondered, when was it OK to meet my own sleep needs?  Thanks to my great
inventive machinist brother-in-law, I even decided to have a second
child.
Without sleep I would not even have considered it.
Judy Ritchie

necessary for rejuvenation.