From:
Christine Bussman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:19:07 -0600
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena wrote:
> Hello Winnie,
>
> Could you please explain what a 'lay midwife' is...?
> Personally, I think I would be very much in favour of the ban, even
> though I had four home births under midwife guidance. But I would
> definitely want her to be a professional midwife, with a diploma and a
> professional organisation behind her and a code of ethics to comply
> with and relations with doctors that would ensure transportation to
> and help in a hospital if necessary... :-s
> But maybe I understand it the wrong way, so you would do me a pleasure
> by telling somewhat more about what to picture with the word 'lay
> midwife'. Thank you! ;o)
The midwives you are describing are what would be called 'lay midwives'
here.  Professional midwives are either nurse midwives (who have a
nursing license, and at least in Missouri must be supervised by a
doctor) or lay midwives.  The nurse midwives are still pretty
medicalized in their approach, at least in my opinion.  There is also a
shortage in Missouri of doctors who are willing to supervise nurse
midwives, so there are approximately 2 nurse midwives in the entire
state who attend home births (and about 2 doctors), so the majority of
women who have home births in this state are paying someone to commit a
felony.  That is what many are trying very hard to change.

Christine Bussman